The content of this page only applies to non-EU citizens, as European citizens can move freely within the member States.

A visa is a sticker glued on the current passport (or on a valid travel document), issued by Italian embassies or consulates located in foreign Countries. These offices are in charge of checking the eligibility of those applying for the Italian visa.

The visa allows you to enter, transit or reside for a short period (up to 90 days) in Italy or in another Country where the Schengen Convention is in force (for this reason, the document is called ‘Uniform Schengen Visa’, USV). In the same way, the USV issued by another European Country allows you to enter Italy.

The long-stay visa (more than 90 days) is called ‘National Visa’, and permits both to stay longer in the Country for which it was issued – in this case, Italy – and to move freely within the Schengen area for up to 90 days every 6 months.

If you need more information about how to apply for the visa and which documents are to be submitted, please visit the Italian Foreign Ministry website:
Complete with:
- your nationality
- your Country of residence
- the length of your stay (up to 90 days or more than 90 days)
- the reason of your stay

and you will have all the details for your visa application.

STUDY VISA (Bachelor and Master degree students, Ph.D. students, interns)

- Apply for a visa for study purposes

- If you are a student or a Ph.D. candidate, not currently involved in any traineeship, but you are only a temporary guest of the Department (consequently, you are not regularly enrolled in Politecnico di Milano), you will receive an official invitation letter, signed by the Head of the Department.

- If you are a student or a trainee involved in a curricular traineeship, please read the dedicated procedure.

RESEARCH VISA (Post-Docs, fellows, researchers, faculties) 

If your stay lasts more than 90 days, a Host Agreement with Politecnico di Milano is compulsory. The Agreement, drafted both in Italian and English (two copies for each language) is fundamental to obtain the ‘Nulla-Osta’ (Authorization) from the ‘Prefettura’ and thus apply for the visa.

In addition to submitting the documents necessary for the draft of the Agreement, the researcher/professor has to provide:

- the original letter of the University/institution funding the stay in Italy. The letter should clearly state the exact amount allowed per month (the rule does apply both to special funds and to salaries) 

- authenticated copy of the degree certificate, which must grant access to a Ph.D. programme both in Italy and in the country where it was issued.

The documents can be in Italian, English, Spanish or French.
The procedure can take up to 2 months, but the expected time increases if the researcher/professor travels with one or more family members.

Please refer to following regulations: D.Lgs. 286/98, art. 27/ter, comma 3, comma 3bis

Visiting Professors who are going to sign a contract with Politecnico di Milano to teach in Bachelor or Master courses are required to follow the procedures described by the Politecnico Visiting Professors Welcome Office at this link


Last update: December, 2015